Regional Policy on
Attendance at Coach Clinics
Introduction. Region 76 has always encouraged coaches, whether head coaches or assistant coaches, to attend clinics to improve their skills as coaches. Our goal is for every coach to have received training appropriate to the division in which they coach and also certain universal training applicable to all coaches. The training requirements are mandatory, as is compliance with AYSO's Safe Haven program. The requirements apply to both head and assistant coaches
AYSO National republished its national coaching certification and training policy and went into full effect on August 1, 2009. The National policy technically applies only to AYSO coaches and assistant coaches who wish to coach in the National Games, concurrent secondary play competitions or nationally sanctioned AYSO tournament.
However, our region is implementing the policy for all coaches, as modified below. Division directors may request waivers from the Regional Coach Administrator but our intention is not to grant them except in rare or unusual circumstances.
- eAYSO REGISTERED - All volunteers must register in eAYSO. Instructions for registering can be found on our Region 76 website: http://www.ayso76.org/volunteer/eayso.cfm.
- Frequency: Every Year
- AYSO's SAFE HAVEN - All volunteers without exception must have taken Safe Haven. Region 76 will allow volunteers to take AYSO's Safe Haven online at www.aysotraining.org.
- Frequency: Only once
- AGE APPROPRIATE COACH CERTIFICATION - All coaches must be certified in the age division they will be coaching. A higher age division coach certification will not allow you to coach a lower age division. This is achieved by taking a Coach Course. You may enroll in a coach course by visiting www.eAYSO.org, log in with your credentials and click on "Enroll to take a class." Use the search filters to search for the appropriate class and register.
- Frequency: Once per Age Division
- U6-U12 Coaches, Assistant Coaches, and Youth Trainers must take the appropriate U-6 Coach Course to U-12 Coach Course.
- U14 Coaches, Assistant Coaches, and Youth Trainers must take the Intermediate Coach Course.
- Prerequisite: U-12 Coach Certified
- U16-U19 Coaches and Assistant Coaches must take the Advanced Coach Course.
- Prerequisite: Intermediate Coach Certified
- EXTRA Coaches and Assistant Coaches must be certified one level above the age appropriate certification level. For instance, if you are coaching a U12 Extra team, the Coach and Assistant Coach must be certified at the Intermediate Coach Level.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Jeff Gross and Ji Lee